Counselling sessions provide a regular time and space, within a therapeutic relationship, in which
- To share, explore and understand the nature of the problem and associated feelings, thoughts and behaviours.
- To develop a more “enabling” emotional, cognitive and behavioural framework, drawn from session material and personal resources.
- To obtain some support in the delicate process of adjustment and change.
The Psychotherapists will see students individually for 50 minutes, usually (but not necessarily) once a week on the same day and time.
Regular attendance is essential and if for some reason you cannot make the appointment, please inform the Health Centre reception as soon as possible.
The number of sessions offered will vary according to individual needs, though for longer-term help students are usually referred elsewhere.
CBT: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
What is CBT?
It is a way of talking about:
how you think about yourself, the world and other people
how what you do affects your thoughts and feelings.
CBT can help you to change how you think (‘Cognitive’), what you do (‘Behaviour’) and how you feel. Unlike some of the other talking treatments, it focuses on the ‘here and now’ problems and difficulties. Instead of focusing on the causes of your distress or symptoms in the past, it looks for ways to improve your state of mind now.
When does CBT help?
CBT has been shown to help with many different types of problems. These include:
- phobias (including agoraphobia and social phobia)
- eating disorders
- obsessive compulsive disorder
- post-traumatic stress disorder
- bipolar disorder
CBT may also help if you have difficulties with anger, a low opinion of yourself or physical health problems, like pain or fatigue.
How effective is CBT?
It is one of the most effective treatments for conditions where anxiety or depression is the main problem.
It is the most effective psychological treatment for moderate and severe depression.
It is as effective as antidepressants for many types of depression
How long will it last?
A course will usually be 6 weekly one hour sessions.